Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dysfunctional? So ARe We - But I'm Still thankfull!

Interesting enough to me, but all the new holiday movies are about dysfunctional families. I find that somewhat sad. I mean, while it is true that most families in modern society are broken homes, meaning that one or both of the parents have been divorced once and or sometimes twice, there are still those that are solid.

My parents never divorced, my husbands parents never divorced, and we have informed our children that it's not in the forseable future that we would divorce. (we actually had them ask that question once when their friends parents were getting divorced.) We have tried to teach our children solid values, good work ethics and manners.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the norm anymore. Isn't that a sad thing? Wasn't a happy home with a mom that cares about her kids and the dad working to support them the thing we were all aiming for?

Well, I will continue to watch the good old favorites. I love The Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life. We love A Christmas Carol, especially the one with George C. Scott.

I guess while I know that not everyone can have a happy family, that those of us who do could possibly share that with others, and so that more people can know what to reach for. I think the holiday season is a time that we should all do more service, work in a soup kitchen perhaps, or volunteer somewhere else.

Service brings us closer to joy, and it also lets our children see that they do have it better than most, even if they don't have all the little toys their friends do.

We try to pick one or two families in our area that might be struggling to do something for during the Christmas season. Since Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and we are getting short on time, I've been asking the kids to think of who we can serve this year, and what we can do for them.

Today I ponder all the blessings I've had in my life.

That I could land on my feet with my wonderful parents to guide me the latter part of my teen years totally amazes me. Then, that I could find and marry such a wonderful man who loves me and treats me like a queen. I'm thankful that I was blessed with 7 children, despite the fact that I want to sell them to the black market most days...grin. I'm extremely thankful for the country in which I live, that gives me the freedom to worship how I may, and say what I want and do what I want. Where I have opportunities every day to grow and improve, and have a blog like this.

I'm also very thankful for friends who support me and give me kind words. Thanks to all of you, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by family and friends. Try not to eat too much...lol

2 comments:

Shellie said...

I love those movies! I agree with all your sentiments! Happy Thanksgiving!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Hi, I've been out of the loop for most of the month with computer troubles and I have missed everyone's blogs, but I back now and working my way through my list.
I feel you on this post.

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...