Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Computers....UGH

You know the old phrase, 'can't live with them, can't live without them?' It's usually associated with a wife or woman, but I'm using it today in association with Computers!!! It's probably the same thing as they say with a plumber or car repairman -- their stuff always needs to be fixed at home. grim. But my hubby does his best, it's just the stupidity of the machine.

My computer (I say my, but its both of ours) is about 10 years old. Now you talk about dog years, lets think computer years since they are obsolete the minute you walk out the door -- my computer is probably about 30 years old in comparison to the new stuff. We have upgraded it, revamped it, upgraded the hard drive, yada yada, and it's finally going toward the deep end. Yeah, I mean deep six end...

We are going to build our own (since there are distinct advantages to having a hubby know how to do that) but we are trying to see if we can wait, finances still tight no matter how cheaply we can get it. So, hubby does a wipe of the hard drive last night because he's convinced we have a virus on the machine. Sure enough, he finds two on the backup and is able to delete them before they would go back on the machine, but the machine won't run our brandy new Norton Anti virus. So...what do we do?

So I'm typing on one of the spare computers (we have three) and not happy because there isn't anywhere to put the keyboard except in my lap and if you know me you know I don't have much of a lap...sigh. I really am grateful that I have a hubby who knows how to do these things, and I'm really gratefull that he likes to buy the surpluss stuff so we even have this one, but you know what? It will be fun to see what a new computer is like...

3 comments:

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Someday I'd like to know what a new computer is like! Ours isn't quite as old, but it is S-L-O-W! Good Luck!

Karlene said...

I feel your pain. Last night I spent several hours cleaning up my QuickBooks files to take to the accountant today. All I needed to do was print the reports this morning and take them to the appointment. Went to do that and the computer WON'T EVEN TURN ON!

G. Parker said...

Oh man!! I so hate it when we are dependent on technology. I've been frustrated all day because I can't access my writing files to edit or write. we need to have a pity party!!! grin

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...