Wednesday, April 16, 2008

August Rush



Have you ever watched a movie and felt that it struck a cord deep inside? The whole idea should offend me -- with the two side characters sleeping together -- but for some reason it's the real story that gets me. And the music.

A lot of people don't know that I used to sing. I say was because my voice has been going for the past couple of years. But in high school and college, I sang in choir, and loved it. Singing is such a joy, and music touches me in a way nothing else can. I asked a woman in my neighborhood who teaches voice lessons why my voice would be going -- she said that vocal chords are like any other muscle. When they aren't used frequently, they weaken. It's really sad, because I don't know how I sing less than I did before --but that was the only thing she could tell me. What was amazing, was at Christmas my stake had a music sing-a-long for the Halleluja chorus and I was able to hit every note. Even the high soprano ones -- it was a miracle. So...that's a quick blurb on my background.

This movie was wonderful. I've read reviews that said it was a re-make of the story OLIVER, and it was terrible. I could see the comparisons, and there was much alike. However, it was a whole new story -- starring music. Robin Williams actually plays a mixed bag. I've never really seen him play a villain, but he did it in this one, and does it well. You like him and hate him at the same time.

But the main character, that same little boy that everyone thinks is wonderful right now, (having done Charley and the Chocolate Factory, Finding Neverland and several others) he did excellent. The expressions on his face are so perfect, so clear and clean. He makes you believe him. He makes you hear the music.

I hope that you take the chance to watch it. Bring lots of tissue, and be prepared to enjoy a musical experience that will hum along your nerves. I want the soundtrack now...

4 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

This movie was a little odd for me, I think -- I liked it and yet it did bother me in some ways. I do agree that Freddie Highmore is a fabulous young actor.

Your new template is gorgeous, by the way.

G. Parker said...

Talk about templates, yours are gorgeous! and yes, the more I thought about it, it was a strange movie. I could see more of the "Oliver" characters -- except they changed them. Anyway, the music is what drew me...

Anonymous said...

The music drew me as well. I bought the soundtrack the day after I saw the movie.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Well I want to see it... we'll see.

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...