Friday, April 25, 2008

Memorizing

Well...today during my quick walk (which I've discovered I'm addicted to -- I didn't have to get up as early and was going to skip it and found I didn't want to!!) I thought about memorizing a scripture. I was reading President Monson's talk from conference two years ago where he speaks about an interview he had in preparing to receive the Melchezidec Priesthood. (sorry if I spelled it wrong) He relates how the man interviewing him asked him to recite a scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants, and he was able to do it.

I thought, wow. I've never really memorized something I didn't have to. When I was on my mission, we had to memorize the 4th section relating to missionary work, but I never really memorized anything else beyond that (well...or anything that stayed with me). So I think I'm going to try to start memorizing scriptures. It's never too late, right?

I just have to decide which are important to memorize -- I mean, ALL of the scriptures are important, right? sigh. That might take some studying. Perhaps I'll start with the one in the Book of Mormon: We preach of Christ, we worship Christ, etc... (I don't have it memorized YET) lol

Looks to be a gorgeous day here...hope you all have a wonderful Friday.

3 comments:

Keeley said...

I think about memorization quite a lot. I think it's possible to memorize far more than we actually do. I mean, if kids in the middle east can memorize the entire Koran, surely we can memorize large sections of scripture also? =)

I think hand in hand with memorization, though, is also understanding. There's no point having the entire Book of Mormon memorized if you don't understand what it says about Christ, for example.

A good place to start is the seminary scriptures. We use the marvelous recordings by the Sons of Ammon to help us out with those. =)

President Monson, apparently, has an INCREDIBLE memory, and can quote tons of stuff at random.

I hope you don't mind, but I tagged you.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I joined the church when I was sixteen and my branch was so small, we didn't have seminary. So I've never learned the scripture mastery stuff. That's my goal for this year. you can actually get a CD from distribution that has all the seminary and institute manuals on them. We've been using them for our couple scripture study. Anyway, on the CD, there's all the scripture mastery cards you can print out.

I hope that helps . . . somehow! :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I can sometimes recall the seminary ones! Those would also be good ones to start with. Good luck with your goal!:)

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...