Monday, April 13, 2009

Wicked...or Not?


In trying to find the interesting and artful for this weeks blog, I heard about the Broadway musical that seems to have taken Salt Lake by storm.

Wicked.

My sister-in-law went and saw it Saturday with her children. Her youngest is a boy turning 8, and all he had to say was he didn't like the "kissing" parts...lol.

This is the musical based on the book written by Winnie Holzman.

I've known the book was around for sometime, and while my sister and everyone else seemed to be reading it, I was never attracted to it. Hearing the basic idea behind the story makes it sound intriguing, and the musical sound inviting. I'd like to see how they manage the idea of two total opposite girls becoming friends in college only to become enemies in adulthood.

I'm afraid that I have the Wicked Witch of the West firmly entrenched in my mind as the crotchety voiced crab (played by Margaret Hamilton)who acted in the original movie with Judy Garland as Dorothy -- my all time favorite actress. Who didn't want a pair of ruby slippers after watching that movie? Perhaps it's just the old fashioned part of me -- but then I don't like a lot of the remakes that have come out in the past ten years either.

Be that as it may, if you like theater and musicals, you'll probably not want to miss this one. It's truly a spectacular on stage presentation.



I hear the stage setting and costumes are amazing, and that everything is very much what you'd see on the Broadway stage. There is even some reference to the movie of it's base, The Wizard of Oz, and that would be interesting to see. Apparently everything is vivid color, like the movie, but the wizard is black and white. I guess you'd have to read the book to understand that.

The recommendation of my sister-in-law? She thought it was awesome and fantastic.

So, if you're in the mood for some musical theater this week, see if you can get some tickets and check it out.(I've heard two different sides to this...tickets are readily available, and yet, tickets are all sold out and the show ends May 3.) So -- apparently they're in short supply. I think the munchkins got to them...grin.

YourLDSneighborhood has added exciting new things to its website. Please drop by and take a look, browse around, check out our vendors, our radio station, our authors, our musicians and more. Check out the Neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to the yourLDSneighborhood Newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Return to the Neighborhood.

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...