Thursday, October 08, 2015

From our Canadian friends...

Well...perhaps not.  I thought when my hubby came home from his LDS Mission to Toronto Canada, that Pierogy were a staple of Canada.  However - in researching today's holiday, I discovered they are a Polish and Eastern Europe item, that was brought over here and has quite the following in the US as well.  So...not so much Canadian in origin, but they like them too.  ;)



It’s National Pierogi Day! 
If you’ve seen the movie Men in Black, there’s a scene where they are in a restaurant eating these.  They are a little time consuming to make, but they sure taste good.  ;)  I thought these puppies were Canadian in origin - However - in researching today's holiday, I discovered they are a Polish and Eastern Europe item, that was brought over here and has quite the following in the US as well.  So...not so much Canadian in origin, but they like them too.  ;) 
Most people would think of them as a type of dumpling (which would also explain my hubby liking them…he’s quite a dumpling fan).  I think they are similar to potstickers, so there ya go.
We have yet to have tried to make them ourselves.  I’m just not really into the heavy prep and work for a small bite, lol.  So, we buy them already made.  We used to be able to get them cheap at the Rainbow Market that was in Fort Lane, but now have to buy them at the regular grocery store.  As a result, we don’t eat them a lot, so tonight’s dinner should be a treat.  ;)
Have you had them?  Which flavor is your favorite?  We like the potato and cheese best…but I’m thinking it would be nice to try with mushrooms.
Anyway – there’s your food history lesson for the day.  
Have a good one!
 

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...