Tuesday, December 12, 2017

baby it's cold outside!

And foggy and icy and wintery...  I love fog though.  I know -- I'm missing a few bolts or need help, lol, but I do.  I also love snow, so there ya go.  Since we still have a little snow on the ground, it's not bad -- though I love how the fog sends little frost flakes and makes everything white.  It makes everything gorgeous in my world...

Have you ever listened to the words of that song, by the way??  When I was a kid, I didn't even really think about it.  LOL  We heard Glenn Beck go on about it a couple of years ago, and now we can't listen to it without hearing the words and just dying.  I was listening to Doug Wright yesterday, and he was asking people what the worst Christmas song is, and someone mentioned that song to them.  He was playing the part where the girl is say, "hey, what's in this drink?" and decided he agreed with the caller..."it's a little creepy."  here's a cute version of it by Michael Buble though... and I like how he mentions sodas instead of drinks.  :)


okay - so on with the rest of the fun stuff.

Chanukah - Well...most of us know it as Hanukka...which is kind of cool.  If you haven't heard the story behind this Jewish celebration, it's wayyyy back in the old testament and involves one of the many desicrations of the temple.  The Maccabees were a righteous family that fought off - I think it was the Greeks this time - and restored the temple.  The priests went in to light the candles, and there was only enough consecrated oil for one day.  Miraculously it burned for eight, and there is the celebration.  It's really kind of cool!  My autistic son feels it's his job to light the candles, but now that he's working at sunset, I guess we either won't be on time with the candles, or one of us is going to have to take on the duty.  I think we need to get some candles too...  oh boy.
Anyway - found this fun video several years ago, by the Maccabeats that is just too much fun to watch.  Enjoy!


Gingerbread House Day - Most of the people I know have already made gingerbread houses, but hey, if you haven't, todays the day!  I think it would be a fun tradition...but getting my grandkids down to my house isn't always easy... lol

National Ding-a-Ling Day - okay, who remembers this song??  I guess that dates me... but it was silly and fun.  I can't believe they have a day to celebrate it.   Here's a video of Chuck Barry singing this song at a university in 1972. 


National Cocoa Day - so - for those of us who LOVE hot cocoa, this day is for us.  You need to make yourself up a cup of the best stuff and sit and watch a Christmas special or something.  Make gingerbread houses...write Christmas cards....read a book...whatever it is you love to do, everything is better with hot cocoa.  :)
I found a recipe for some of the best homemade stuff last year...  I'm sharing it again with all of you:
Well...I thought I remembered which one it was and I can't decide, so, here are two of them.
https://crockpotladies.com/recipe/crockpot-thick-creamy-hot-chocolate/

http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/10/crockpot-hot-chocolate.html
this one is a little simpler...so if you're into simple, try this one first.  :)

Poinsettia Day - and you probably already know by now that Poinsettia's were found in Mexico and imported to the US.  I heard somewhere that they originally came from Italy, and my sister-in-law gave us a ceramic one from Italy that's gorgeous.  Personally, I think they're okay -- I'm not a huge fan of them, but my hubby gives my mother-in-law one every year for Christmas.  She always tries to see if she can keep it growing all year.  Some years it makes it to May...  ;)

 and last...just to be silly - I don't know how many of you are familiar with the school principal down in Texas that has his own Youtube channel, but he's hilarious.  Half the time I'm just laughing at his accent...but he always has fun mocking everything from teachers to students to parents and all of the above.  This is his car duty grinch one...

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...