Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The End of Summer....

almost.  I can't believe it's the last day of JULY!!  Where has the summer gone??  June was a blink...and July was right after it.  I have also been busier this summer than previous, and my daughter pointedly reminded me that I hadn't posted for 2 weeks.  Well...  I don't think anyone but her has noticed, lol., but okay, so I'll post something.  Geesh. 
It's all good...
So...here's the holiday list for today (from brownielocks and others...) :
National Avocado Day - Yeah!  I love avocados now.  I used to only stand them for the wonder of guacamole, but now I put them in salads, on my burger, yum.  My hubby still has a hard time with store bought ones - he grew up with his grandmother bringing fresh ones off her tree in southern Cal...big huge things that were the size of a softball.  Oh well...they're still good!

National Mutt Day - horray for mutts!!  I don't know that we'll ever pay money for a purebred animal.  We love mutts and how wonderful they are.  My daughter has a mini dachshund and it's supposed to be pure - but she doesn't have papers.  Then we have some kind of chiuaua mix with a terrier, and he worships the ground we walk on.  He's a sweetie.  Got to love those dogs...and I never thought I'd be a dog person!


Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day - so, I don't know why we should be aware of uncommon instruments, but then, I guess it's always a good thing to broaden the perspective.  :)   So...here's a zurna.  It is an instrument common to Turkey, and it's uncommon...

World Ranger DayThis is a day to raise awareness and praise for those game wardens in Africa to protect the animals at the risk of their lives... or so it says on the website.

National Raspberry Cake Day - This is a good one to celebrate.  Apparently there are lots of versions to contemplate.  I think the best would be a raspberry poke cake for summer.  Don't you??  Nice and cool.... this photo from Taste of Home looks very similar  to what we usually do.  White cake mix...raspberry jello...whipped topping, fridge time...ya - good stuff.  :)

Cotton Candy Day - I'm not a big cotton candy, but I've noticed that if you hand it out, almost everyone will eat it. What is it about spun sugar???  And it gets everywhere!  I've been in booths next to them and found cotton candy everywhere!  If you are one of those fans...they do have it in the stores now.  Is it as good as fresh?  You tell me...

Jump for Jelly Beans Day - Yeah, jelly beans!!  I  have to say though - these are like one step up from cotton candy, right??  I mean, it's once again pure sugar.  But, I have to say, I love the star burst ones!!  Those are the best!  they actually have flavor...  :)  

Well, that's it for that stuff.  
Last night we had a bday dinner for my youngest daughter (you know who you are) and had pizza cooked on the grill.  It turned out awesome!  I'd even froze the dough and had to defrost it.  Everyone made their own, and everyone loved it.  Then we attempted a chocolate strawberry cake.  She liked it...so that's all that matters, right?  It turned out pretty tasty, if not all that great looking, lol.  Have you tried cooking pizza on the grill?  I found some metal tray like things that we put the pizza's on, and they worked great.  Everyone was in agreement - we definitely need to do those again!
had some fun doing some chalk signs for a neighbor who's daughter is getting married.  Haven't done much with chalk markers...but I was having fun with them!!

So - off to other stuff.  Hope you aren't melting...have to say, there are many times that I think air conditioning was one of the best inventions...EVER.  :)  Love me my cool house...
Have a great one!


2 comments:

clarissa said...

Hey, the cake looked great!

clarissa said...

Hey, It looked fine until we ate it!

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...