Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Did you remember?

I was driving down the road to work listening to the radio, and that's when I realized what day it was.  Did you remember?  I was sad that I hadn't remembered before that point, but my life has been a little crazy this month. 

We watched Flight 93 this timeWe have usually watched 911 the documentary or the Twin Towers with Nicholas Cage.   But for some reason, Flight 93 seemed more personal this time...and we were more emotional.

It's strange to think that it was 17 years ago...on this very day - Tuesday, September 11th.  My granddaughter had not been born yet.  She will have no memories of life before that...life without strict airline travel and security measures that drive us all crazy.  Life before the long drawn out war against terror.   But I hope to help her honor those that died...much as we honor those from Pearl Harbor.  Big difference between the two?  Most were civilians in the 9/11 attack.  Most were military in Pearl Harbor.  What makes it worse, do you think?

Yesterday was our granddaughter's birthday.  We took her to the fair. It has been a sort of tradition to take her, but unfortunately, she's decided it's only fun if she gets to ride unlimited rides.  We had fun looking at the animals though... especially the little piglets.  They were so cute!

This past weekend we were up at Peach Days in Brigham City.  We've never been before, and had no idea what we were in for.  We had been asked to come help with a fundraising effort.  We were willing to come and donate our time and a large part of what we earned to their efforts - and discovered it was a foundation for their deceased daughter.  Man - what a emotional weekend!  Her birthday was the same as our granddaughter!  (same day...three years older)  Anyway, the Kohl family set up Avery's Dream Foundation and we were very close to Main street and the parade location.  Friday night we weren't very busy... 
But it was fun, and hubby did lots of balloons!  Saturday was a whole different story!  My goodness...and once they found out I did unicorns, I did soooo many unicorns.  That was Avery's favorite thing, after all.   This is their facebook page... They are currently trying to put buddy benches in all the schools in their area.
Anyway - my hubby had fun with the balloons on Saturday too...

It was an honor to serve this family during this difficult time.  Peach days was a family tradition with this daughter that died just this past May...and with Monday being her birthday, I don't know how they handled the whole thing.  But they were gracious, happy, and kind to everyone - especially us.  It was made extra special because their daughter ended up being Peach Queen! 
They are in our prayers.  And we are hoping to be able to part of their lives at this time every year.

Kindness and service is something that never grows old, and makes it easier to bear the pains and hurts of the past. 
I hope you have a wonderful day of remembrance.

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...