Friday, February 29, 2008

A Sad Day...

Well, I meant to post this yesterday, but time got away from me. Things have been hectic at work because my boss's boss is retiring and today was going to pretty much be her last day at work, so they threw the retirement party this afternoon. Everyone has been stressing out all week because of it (well, all the big wigs that had to be there) and so some of the stuff shifted to me because I'm the peon, don't cha know? grin. I really didn't mind, and I got more hours.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to blog was because of this cat.



This cat used to sleep on our couch just like this. We called him roadkill, but his name was Rafael.



He was an unexpected kitty that my daughter's cat had a year ago.



In this picture he's the one on top. When he was this small, he was hard to tell apart from one of the other kittens, and the only way we could was because he was darker.

Well...he got caught under the garage door on Wednesday night. They were so used to running under the store and stopping it when the sensor spotted them, but this time, he was too slow. My daughter came home from night class and ran in the door, all upset. "That better be someone's poor idea of a joke as a cat prop," she insisted. We had no idea what she was talking about. We went out and opened the garage door, and sure enough -- he was dead. He'd been dead for almost 2 hours.

My oldest 'tough' son broke down crying, and the rest of the kids were generally upset. Except Randy...he figured we still all the other kittens...grin. I was fine until I contemplated the idea that I'd been the one that shut the door. sigh. Oh well. Animals die, especially pets. This is our third cat to leave us. I'm fine now, it's a part of life. Our kids are doing fine too. We still have the pictures to remember him.

And, he has a twin that is almost as pouffy as he was...

by Rafe.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Our neighbor girl came tonight and told us that our kitty had been run over. I was trying to not cry. When we got there it wasn't our kitty. I don't know who's it was, but he looked a lot like Rafe.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Oh poor kitty. It's hard to loose a pet.

Keeley said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. *Great big fat hugs to all of you*

Tristi Pinkston said...

Oh, what a sweet little furry. I'm sorry.

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...