Monday, September 01, 2008

The Art of Minerva Teichert


In going through my Ensign for last month, I came across a section with paintings about the Book of Mormon done by Minerva Teichert. I have seen her artwork before, but for some reason it stood out to me and I thought it worth mentioning today.

Her work has a certain look that makes it stand out from others. It makes me think of a more ancient design...almost as if this is a work that has been uncovered in an archeological site in the moods that she brings across. Yet...it's rich and unique in it's own way.



She used, aparently, any thing she could find to paint on. Wood, canvas, flour sacks, etc., which amazes me. I have to paint on standard surfaces, or I find it irritating. She painted in her front room of her home, which was too small for some of her work. The sheer size is astounding. She worked, raised her children and painted. She commented in on biography that "She had to paint, it was a disease..." Funny how that's what I feel about writing -- more than painting, though I have to paint too.



She painted with watercolors first, when she was young, and then grew to use other mediums as well. It seems her larger works were done with oils, but she also used acrylic. One of the articles I read about her suggested trying to paint with her style, using thick acrylic on a brown paper bag. I would never have thought of that...

She was a unique woman who was very talented and went the way of her heart and the way of the Lord. I know there are many who would grow from getting to know her and studying her work. There is a quote by President Hinkley about her work:
"She was a very impressive woman. She was a very personable woman. She wasn't an unapproachable, stiff-necked artist. You could tell a Minerva Teichert painting if you bumped into it in China. I respect her for her qualities and tremendous artistry that she has shown."

I think that says a great deal about her as a person and an artist. One wants to stand out in art, so that your work isn't grouped in with someone elses. Clearly, her's stands on it's own. What I find even more impressive was how down to earth she was.



One of her teachers told her she should go home and paint the Mormon experience. That was when she returned and married her husband, began her life on the ranch, raising her children and creating the masterpieces we enjoy today.

I think she would be an inspiration to anyone who has thought they didnt' have the time to paint or explore their talents. She worked on a ranch and had five children. Think she had time?

Of course, I wonder if she thought sleep and eating were necessities...lol.

Return to the Neighborhood.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love Minerva's work. Have you been to the Temple in Manti? There is a room there that she painted and it is amazing. I love going to that temple simply for that reason. If you haven't seen it, you have to go sometime.
Thanks for the blog. It was really interesting.

Bestartdoc said...

I have been the art conservator responsible for preserving/restoring a lot of Minerva's work and, in fact, JUST delivered last week the painting of the pioneers in your article. Back in 1983ish I also did the art conservation of her mural in the World Room of the Manti Temple. I own the preparatory drawing of Minerva's painting of Ammon defending the flocks of King Lamoni. I keep a blog of the art conservation/restoration work we do on Mormon Art and perhaps you would be interested in promoting it to your readers: http://www.mormonartconservation.org
Thanks
All my best
Scott M. Haskins

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...