Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never Forget

Well...today is September 11th.  I can't believe it's been 9 years since that fatefull day in 2001.  I wish we had a huge flag to raise, but we don't.  We have two that we put in the window.  Last year I put yellow ribbons everywhere and my kids were asking why yellow ribbons?  I told them because we didn't want to forget.  They got it, but I'm not sure anyone who saw them did - they probably just thought we were remembering or honoring a specific individual.

This year, we're still celebrating the birth of my first grandchild.  We put pink balloons out on the mail box (we'd gotten some latex ones to take to the hospital and then remembered when we got there that they didn't want latex inside...sigh), but no yellow ribbon.  Our commemoration is going to be a little less obvious, I guess.  We have a neighborhood party, and I wonder if they planned it on this date on purpose.  It kind of makes me wonder.

I hope you've had a chance to reflect and remember.  I plan on teaching little Kestra all about this great country - if it holds together long enough for her to understand such things.

I hope you have a wonderful day and spend it with family.  It's a special day.  We're alive and free.  Not everyone is able to enjoy that.

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...