Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Aerobics!


Okay...I've decided that Zumba is really just another name for something that started about 35 years ago. Aerobics. Many of you probably won't remember, but in the early 80's there was this new exercise craze that everyone jumped on the band wagon for. Olivia Newton-John, Jane Fonda, all of them had tapes you could rent or buy to do aerobics. For a long time they had 'hooked on classics's on channel 11 that I used to tape and do later. Of course, that was after I was married and didn't have time at 7am, which was when they showed it.

Before that, I had a roommate that taught an aerobics class and I'd go do the classes with her. I took a class at the old Deseret Gym, but it was sooo crowded and insane.

The thing about aerobics was you had to wear certain clothing. Ugh. I've still got pictures that my roommate and I took that crack me up...the leotards, the tights, the leg warmers, the headband...it was a whole outfit.

One of the things I like about Zumba is that it doesn't matter what you wear. Oh sure, if you want, you could spend money on the cutsy stuff and look gangster, but it doesn't matter. There are some women who don't.wear.much.at.all. sigh. But on the whole, it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as it's comfortable and you can move in it.

Last night I decided it was time to find some different music. Something without the videos of the scantily clad women for our sons to be watching. So I dragged out all our cd's that looked promising and we stuck them in to see what kind of steps came to mind. I mean, it's dancing, right? We had sooo much fun. My daughter even liked it. We went almost an hour! It was great. So, if you like to dance, can work up a sweat while you're doing it, and have some fun music with a good quick beat, you're set. You don't need to buy anything...well, except perhaps a cd player... ;)
have a good one!

Oh, and I lost 5 more pounds!! That's 32 now. It's just fading away...lol

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...