Wednesday, September 27, 2017

It's about Respect


People are crazy.
I don't like to do political stuff, you've seen that if you have read my blog much.  But I felt something needed to be said about the whole salute the flag and national anthem thing.
First - I guess we all have the right of free speech.  It's in the constitution, and even if we don't agree with what they are saying, they have a right to say it.  We also have a right to protest what they're saying, but ya know...that can get out of hand.
Second - I feel it comes down to a matter of respect.  Young kids are watching national sports teams -- being juvenile.  Now, I get that they are protesting something (any number of things...sigh)  But when it comes to our flag...do you want to teach the youth of our country to respect what it stands for?  Or use it as a means of protest?  Then they won't see it as many of us see it...a banner of freedom, of hope, of the lives that have fought and died protecting what it stands for.

That's my biggest beef.  I mean, sure, protest the president (another item that no one respects anymore, the office of the president of the United States -- and I get that, we haven't had a great example in the past 8 years), protest the riots going on, protest the cost of milk or treatment of animals...

But why does the flag and the national anthem have to be the object of your protest?  You have a voice, you have the internet, you have social media... There are many ways to make your voice heard.  Heck, if you're a big celebrity NFL player, you've got lots of fans that are willing to hear what you have to say.

Thing is, we actually can't MAKE anyone salute the flag or sing the national anthem.  We also can't fine them, or prevent them from doing it.

So it's all a matter of perspective and attention.
Why does it have to be on national TV during the national anthem?  Because someone thought that would be the best way to protest.
Fine.
Ever hear of Youtube?  I hear it has millions of viewers...if you have any kind of fan base, they'll watch what you have to say.  So just have someone film it...stick it up there, and you've had your protest.  And it didn't include disrespecting the flag.
That Flag means a lot to me.  My father and grandfather fought in both wars for it.

So...go ahead and protest.  Just back it up with something. Write your senator, congressman, yada yada -- make a video, post on Facebook... Do something possitive to back up your protest.

I just ask you to respect the flag and the country you live in.  We welcome everyone who has a desire for freedom and respect of others.  
If you don't like that idea, the laws or the rights we enjoy, you do have the freedom to leave. There's no one stopping you from doing that either.



No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...