Wednesday, January 03, 2018

It's Wednesday...really?

It's Wednesday!  That means we are half way through the week, and the end is in sight.  😊  It's kind of sad when we're already looking forward to Martin Luther King Jr Day... lol   But, I'm working on it.

There were just a couple of fun celebrations for the day, and I didn't want you to miss out on them.

To start it off, we have
Drinking Straw Day - Did you know that the idea of a straw has been around since the 1800's?  I had no idea.  According to one site, the Sumerians used a 'straw' to drink beer because there was all sorts of things floating around in the glass that they wanted to avoid.  The man that's credited with the modern straw was Marvin C Stone.  This was the day he received the patent for his straw, and that's why it has it's own day.  The reason he created a straw was because the reeds they used would leave stuff at the bottom of the drink.  Need is always the mother of invention.  There have been many adaptations since then...  I think most of you are familiar with Krazy Straws, and the Slurpee straw.  Fun stuff!  Plastic has taken over the paper straw, but apparently that's an issue with pollution in the ocean - go figure.  So, if you can afford it, try the paper straw, or reusable straws. I found these on Amazon.  I had no idea you could even order them!  https://www.amazon.com/Webake-Biodegradable-Birthdays-Weddings-Celebrations/dp/B01M995I1D/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NX3H5JEV9KVBY2NFQWMP

Earth at Perihelion - For those of you who don't know (which was ME) this means the earth is the closest to the sun.  That means right now we're closer than at any other time of the year.  I guess it's good for solar, but doesn't make much difference in any other way.  I found this tidbit on a scientific site..."Perihelion always occurs near January 4th, while aphelion lands near the 4th of July."  Now you've increased your vocabulary for the day!  Impress your friends and family...  "My, what a chilly perihelion it is today!"  lol

J.R.R. Tolkien Day - On this day, the man that wrote the Hobbit was born in 1892.  Crazy that it's been that long ago - and that his book series has launched a film industry that amazes all.  If you haven't read the books that spawned the movies, you really need to -- he's awesome.  It's my understanding that he even created the languages his characters used.  Amazing imagination.








This is one of my favorite scenes from the movies:
and of course this one...  lol





 and last...National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day - If you like these (and I think it's either you do or don't, not much in between;  I hate them, ugh!) then it's your day!  I used to buy a box for my hubby every year for Christmas, and we were happy they started making them with dark chocolate.  But he's gotten to where he just can't eat lots of sugary stuff, and so didn't buy them this year.  I don't think he's missed them, lol. 

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...