Monday, November 12, 2018

It's been a 100 years... and other thoughts

Happy Monday!  Veterans Day! Week before Thanksgiving!  5 weeks before Christmas!  The first day of the rest of your life!  lol  Is that enough to get excited for the day?  I'm trying...  there isn't much to say about what other people want to celebrate today, so I'll keep it short.  :)

Chicken Soup For The Soul Day - I found this on the brownielocks site and the Nibble - so go figure.  It's not about the soup, it's about the book and I guess how Chicken Soup is good for what ails you, chicken soup for the soul is good for your mental and spiritual strength.  What are your thoughts?  :)  I kind of look at the series of books like the ones I grew up on in California ...I can't even remember what the titles are, but they were inspirational thoughts and stories and there about five volumes of them that everyone who was a member of the church would use for talks.  :)  Chicken Soup for the Soul is basically just trying to find inspiration for anyone about anything...I've seen them for dogs, cats, military, single parent, yada yada.  I'm sure they've brought a lot of comfort to the world.  Which one have you read the most?



Veteran's Day - this was 100 years ago yesterday, it's amazing to think that WWI, the war to end all wars, was ended 100 years ago.  Has mankind learned from it's past?  Apparently not...we had WWII, and then several 'smaller' wars since then.  I think the world owes the military people all for how they have rescued us from ourselves.  From the governments that order their use, and the civilians that have been (mostly) protected from harm.  If you know a vet, this is the day (well, yesterday was the day) to thank them for all they did.  If you need a way to commemorate it as a family, there are a couple of movies that would be good.  If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, I highly recommend it.  Just remember it's a war movie and it's directed by Mel Gibson - it's graphic like Saving Private Ryan.
I also want to mention my own father and Grandfather...they both served in the military.  I know I've mentioned before that my father was an Army Ranger, 2nd Btln.  His is the unit you see in Saving Private Ryan, though none of the characters portrayed are supposed to be him.  I still don't know how anyone survived that.

My grandfather was in the Navy, and while I never heard any of his story, I'm sure there was something to tell.  All the more encouragement to keep a journal, people!  Just saying... 

I suppose I should mention my oldest son.  He doesn't read my blog, and we hardly ever see him and I'm not sure he was ever proud to be in uniform, but he was an Army Reservist, and served in a small capacity.  He likes to claim the advantages whenever he can, but he wasn't thrilled to be in it, that I remember.  sigh.  I hope he remembers that he followed in the footsteps of great examples to be there...  We were proud of him for the effort he put forth.  His brothers were very proud of him.


Here's a musical tribute for the day...

 

National Pizza with Everything (but anchovies) day - seriously, I think there is more than one pizza celebration in the year, but I'm not complaining.  It's like the whole doughnut thing - who complains about more than one day devoted to pizza??  I'm not sure why anchovies are even a thing...I've never had one, though we had to keep them stocked for people that DID like them on their pizza when we owned our pizza restaurant.  We even still have a couple of cans left - or did we finally throw them out??  I'm not sure how long canned anchovies are good for, are you??  😜

Well...so that's the thoughts for the day.  Hopefully you have a great one!

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...