Thursday, April 12, 2018

April showers!

You know that old saying, April showers bring May flowers?  Well, we have that today!  Lovely rain.  I hope it stays a while, but they said some snow was coming tonight, so I guess we'll see.  I think a lot of people would love the weather to be like it is in the second Back to the Future. :)

Anyway, not a lot of stuff, but some fun ones.  Here we go...

Celebrate Teen Literature Day - if you have a teen that doesn't like to read, maybe you can encourage them with something different.  My kids didn't like to read until jr high, and then they wouldn't stop reading!  One of my sons actually threatened the teacher when he took his book away... sigh.  There are some good books out there!!

D.E.A.R. Day (aka Drop Everything And Read) - I like this one!!  Sounds good to me.  Do you think we could end some of the strife in the world if we all just took a few minutes to read together???  It's the perfect day for it too...curl up in a comfy chair with a good book and listen to the rain...

Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day - We have a cool food truck in our area called the Toasted Cheeser.  They do nothing but grilled cheese, and all of the variations you can think of.  They have been at several events I've painted faces for, and the food looks awesome.  sigh.  But today, it would be a made at home version. the Nibble has recipes that you might want to try...
I used to hate grilled cheese because it always tasted greasy.  We don't put butter on the outside of ours, so it's lots nicer.  I have to admit though, nowadays my grilled cheese is more like a panini. What kind do you like?  did you know that it was grilled cheese month??  You could have grilled cheese every day and live the life of cheese... lol. 
 
National Licorice Day - yeah!  There are lots of different kinds of licorice.  Personally, I like Red Vines and only the red kind.  A former co-worker used to make the most awesome caramels...and one year she did licorice flavored.  That was the only time I liked the (dark) licorice flavor!!  It was amazing...  but red is good.  Purple is good too.  Licorice is our road trip food.  :)

Walk on Your Wild Side Day - I'm of two minds with this idea.  One site says that the world would have you stay within guidelines, strictness that keeps you from developing and growing.  It kind of reminds me of a song that was popular a couple years ago - Unwritten:
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten...
 ...
I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way.
I love this song.  I feel that it calls to the writer in me and I want to jump to the keyboard and start typing. Mistakes or failure is how we learn and grow. (hopefully) I'm not sure releasing our inhibitions is always good, but they do hold us back from doing what we really want sometimes.  
So - here's to you.  Each unique person out there who wants to live life as well as they can.  
this is your day.
Live it well.  :)
Here's the video  (sorry about the last minute of it...)

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...