Thursday, July 30, 2020

Return to Sanity....sort of, lol

Well...this is the second try.  I wrote this whole blog yesterday, adding pictures, reliving my trip, and then clicked publish.
nada.
It was all gone!!  I've never had that happen before, as blogger always auto saves - but apparently no longer.  Let's see how it goes today...
I'm not going to remember everything I wrote down, so hopefully I can remember the points I wanted to touch on.  Mainly...OREGON!  lol
We have been planning a trip to Japan this year, and covid kicked it out... so we planned another one, to my brother's house in Oregon.  
I served a mission in Oregon, over 30 years ago.  It's amazing how much you forget in that amount of time.  Like, peoples names, addresses and such.  I meant to grab my journal and look up things about Roseburg, as we were going to spend a night there, but never got around to it.  So, we never did hook up with anyone, but it was fun to go back.
We didn't get away as soon as we had hoped, and I ended up driving because Guy had been working his 10 hour shift, and everyone else was tired.  It was a good thing, my knee (which has been bugging me and I had to get an xray for it this morning) was happier in the drivers seat where there was more room than in the passenger seat.
We made it to Idaho before midnight, and then headed off to Oregon the next morning.  We got to Lakeside by dinner time, and it was wonderful...so much cooler!!!  It never went above 70 the whole time we were there.  My sister-in-law loves the cooler weather, and kept all the windows and doors open to get the cross breeze.  We were freezing half the time, since our blood was much thinner, lol.  She laughed that we had to have blankets over our legs or have the door shut.  Oh well.  :)  We still love her, and loved being there.
That Saturday we went up to the lighthouse nearby, the Umqua Lighthouse.  My hubby and I had been there before, but didn't realize that you could watch whales from there!  We didn't see any, but it would have been fun.  it was also foggy that day, or as my sis-in-law kept reminding us, had a marine layer most of the day.  We went to the lake, Tenmile lake and looked at the amazing lilypads everywhere...and ordered up some grub.  It was a tad expensive grub,  We also went up to Thors Well.  One of my friends had mentioned it and suggested we go.  My bro hadn't done a lot of sight seeing yet, so he was game to go with us.  It was kind of cool...  a hole in the ground, lol.  I wasn't able to walk down to it, but the kids did.  They thought it was pretty cool.  My bro walked down to it too, but I didn't think it was a good idea with my knee.  We did walk down half way on the paved path...and then back up.  It was a gorgeous day, even if it was overcast.


We had church with them on Sunday and generally lazed around, I think recouping from the crazy drive to get there.  It was wonderful.  Then we decided to go the local car show, which was kind of cool.  Lots of Mustangs...which made us think of the Ford vs Ferrari movie, and which is why we watched it later with my bro.
Monday, we helped him clean out a bunch of stuff from his shed.  He was having the roof re-done, as it was a mess, and wanted to get all the junk out.  The kids helped, and then we made a trip into the dump.  After which, we went to the beach and they went home.  :)  We were being such tourists.  We had pizza and watched a movie that night - we introduced them to Ford Vs Ferrari.  It was awesome.

Tuesday and Wednesday we touristed more, and I think my family was a little tired of driving, but it was so much fun.  We watched Jumanji, (the new one with the Rock) and the welcome to the jungle one follow up, and then had to prep to say goodbye on Thursday.  I wish we lived closer!  I still can't believe I didn't take any new photos of them...
but this one works.  They haven't changed at all.  :)

We went down the coast for a bit before heading east.  One of the beaches we stopped at had puffins!  They had one that was made from garbage found in the ocean - none of which had been altered other than to cut it to fit.  It was amazing.

We stopped at Roseburg for the night, and then went on to Crater Lake.  I went to Crater lake when I was there on my mission, but I remember a dead forest of twisted trees on the way there.  I'm wondering if that was another entrance (we went to the north one) or if that was due to a fire at the time or something.  Nothing looked dead this time, except some obvious burned trees on one side of the road.  I didn't remember the lake being so amazing though!  And there were so many people...  Who knew?  I teased my hubby that only in the US could someone find a deep hole in the ground filled with water and people would go hundreds of miles to no where to see it.  Right??  lol

So - it's back to dry hot Utah weather, and my own bed and kitchen.  Doesn't get better than that, except I do miss the beach!!
Here's some more photos to help you dream...






No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...