Friday, March 13, 2020

don't panic!

So - it occurred to me yesterday that the main phrase from Hitchickers Guide to the Galaxy is apropos for today...

(uh, make that a disinfecting towel, lol)
So - one of the schools I was at this morning had a quick staff meeting, to talk about what the district was having them do for handling the coronavirus.   Then I later found our favorite principal with his take on staff meetings... lol


People are getting crazy, and it's time to tone it down.  What is the biggest thing to fear right now??  That you'll run out of toilet paper?  Seriously?  There is a big wide world out there full of much more interesting things, and bigger things to worry about.  If you don't have any TP in your house, then yes, it is a cause for concern, but seriously - if you have a couple packs, you'll be good.  They are still making TP, and there are still warehouses full of it.  Trust me - I have a brother who works for a paper production company, and he says they are running at full capacity, and still have a warehouse full. 

And it's not likely water is going to be turned off or contaminated, so there's no reason to worry about water.  Let's remember that we are intelligent beings, and that the media has hyped this up a bit.  Yes, we live in a world where we can find out what's happening in Italy in moments, or China in seconds.  That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it's the way life is now.  However- it might also be the time to turn off the news channel and watch a fun movie or dig out some books and remember that life is good - we can do what we choose and not have our lives dictated by the world around us.

This should be our mantra for the day.  Don't dwell on the fact that it's Friday the 13th...that doesn't really mean anything - it's just a day of the week with a number from a calendar that someone made up centuries ago.  Life goes on.  The second coming hasn't happened yet, you haven't been 'left behind' like a kid at the gas station.  :)  Or like the boyfriend in the Pink Bible version of Pride and Prejudice where they stop for gas, he gets out for food and they leave him... lol.
Anyway - I'm not saying that you shouldn't prepare, but if you have enough food for a couple of weeks you're good!! 
Don't be huggie and feely with everyone you meet...  nod heads or touch toes if you feel like it...  we all don't want to catch anything.  I wonder... will wearing gloves come back into fashion???   I think they could... they could even make disposable ones that you threw away when you came home.  They could even go crazy with them and have them made with the hand sanitizer in them so that your hands would be continually refreshed with the alcoholic scent every five minutes... 
But seriously folks, I don't think it needs to come to that.
I'm just wanting to help calm everyone down.  It's been discussed that the reason they are coming out with this so much is they don't want to overwhelm the medical facilities all at once.  This is what has happened in Italy, where they have a LARGE older population.  My hubby said he heard they were having to turn away stroke patients because there were no beds... 
So, let's not be like what they say in Men in Black...  let's be the smart inidividual.



To be honest, we thought we'd run to Sams Club yesterday and grab some salt for our water softener, and perhaps some veggies...  UHUH.  We got the salt... but there was no chicken...no TP in sight!!  no cleaning materials... no frozen veggies except for zucchini spirals!!  I thought that was hilarious.  I mean, really...  and there was tons of shrimp!  I almost wanted to buy shrimp, just because it was there.  :)   No butter...I stayed away from the swarm around the milk and eggs... 
but the lines were long... not quite as long as at Christmas time, but they were close.  So, we went to Winco, thinking we needed to get some flour in the bulk section.  Well... that was the only place you could find it.  The big bags were gone (dang!) as was the rice!  There wasn't any rice but the wild rice, and fortunately there was flour in the bins, so I got some as well as some whole grain noodles.  But the lines at Winco???  UGLY!  We were in line for probably 20 minutes or more, and my hubby was chatting it up with the men in front and behind us.  The one behind hadn't come with any other intention than to grab something for dinner.  He'd heard there was TP in Brigham City...  I said, hey, they are a little more laid back there, and probably aren't panicked yet, lol.  The one in front said he hadn't thought of grabbing stuff till they got there and saw how crazy it was.  I asked the cashier if it had been like this all day and she said it had.  Makes me wonder about people!!
But anyway - let's liven things up a little. 
It's Donald Duck Day!!  Everyone needs to talk like Donald for a bit - that will make you forget about anything else.  Makes me miss my father-in-law...he did a great imitation.  


Today is National Ginger Ale day!  I'm not a huge fan...I used to love Ginger beer - if you've never heard of it, kind of like a stronger version of ginger ale.  But I can't handle the carbonation any more.  We always get some for the World Series games... 

It's also World Sleep Day.  I think we all need this one...  can we just go back to bed today??  Really?? 

I have been craving homemade cinnamon rolls all week.  Ever get into modes like that??  I almost made them Wednesday, but didn't want to do the whole heat the milk, mix with yeast, let everything rise for 10 hours... lol.   Not happening.  So yesterday, I decided to try an experiment with a recipe I found for 30 min dinner rolls.  I added a little more honey than the recipe called for, and they turned out AWESOME! 
I made a light glaze instead of the thick cream cheese stuff my sister always makes because 1- didn't have any soft and ready to go and 2- that way the kids wouldn't compare them to hers, lol.  (she uses white flour, has made them for decades and are fluffy air filled things that everyone just raves over - I'm not jealous... really.  :)  )  but anyway, they hit the spot. 
So if you're craving a bit of comfort food, don't try and find something to take it's place, just go with it.  We all need some comfort now and then...

Have a great Friday and a great weekend!!  Good song to end with...




No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...