Thursday, April 23, 2020

Happy Thursday! I mean...why not?

It's not like the middle of the week is a big deal right now, lol.  So any day is a big day.  This week has seemed like FOREVER!  I'm not sure why...  but such as it is...  It's interesting that the site I look at for most of the celebration days marks when something has been cancelled by the Covid 19.  One of them, I think is hilarious...

Celebrate Teen Literature Day- apparently this is during national Library week or something.  Since school isn't in, and the libraries are all closed, I don't know how you're supposed to do this exactly, except to perhaps download something if you don't have loads of books at home,... (like we do).  There's lots of good stuff out there to get kids reading...  some of my favorites are Elantris (Brandon Sanderson- or his new series, Skyward, is awesome) Drangonsong series (Anne McCaffrey or her Ship Who Sang series or the unicorn one) Anne of Green Gables (or is that too young??) Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling) ... I know lots of kids liked the Twilight series - though personally, I liked The Host better (Stephanie Meyer).  Have fun!!! 

English Muffin Day - I love English muffins.  I hear they're kind of a pain to bake, if you are doing them from scratch.  They need a rim thing, to hold their shape, you can bake them on the stove...but I've seen some sourdough aficionados bake them, so I don't know...  I love them toasted, and I love them with eggs benedict.  I try to buy whole wheat ones when I see them.  What is your favorite? 

Movie Theatre Day - If this were any other day in the earlier part of the year, I would suggest everyone go see a movie.  sigh.  I don't know how the movie theaters are handling this - I do hope they come back when they let them re-open.  Yeah, I think drive ins are fun, but they used to be funner...when it didn't matter how many were in a car and we could spread out on top the roof of our van, or the back of our truck, with lawn chairs in front of it.  The kids would fall asleep after the first movie and we'd stay up and watch the second one in blissful silence.  I miss going to the movie, not that we went a lot--but we still went once in a while.  I like having a bigger screen, no one bugging your with questions, and yes, I did like the popcorn.  What do you miss about theaters??  I think it's fun that a couple of the neighborhood theaters are offering (or were) for people to come get popcorn and pop for their home movie nights...

National Pie Day - This is as opposed to the 3.14 pie day, lol.  There was a statement with this that it had been cancelled as well.  I don't know why... can't we all bake a pie at home??  I think it's due!!  Everyone seems to be baking up a storm (except me, I have yet to bake a loaf of regular bread.  I've made some banana bread...lol) why not do pie??  You could teach home ec 101...the essentials of pie crusts.  Then of course, you'd have to decide which pie to make.  I think we still have some pumpkin... 

Take Your Daughters & Sons to Work Day CANCELLED due to COVID-19.  This is the one that I found humorous!!!  I mean, aren't most of us working from home???  Aren't the kids automatically kind of at work with us then??  so hey, why was it CANCELLED???  Don't you think it's funny?? Hey kids... we don't have to work today! it was cancelled!!  lol 

Talk Like Shakespeare Day- Okay...so wrapping my head around this one.  Have you watched a Shakespeare play?  It's alot like reading the bible...  a lot of Thee's and Thous...  so, Wouldst thou prefer to have thy bread sliced with my sword or with thy cousins blade?  I think it would take longer to get any words out...                       
 
World Book Night - This is apparently bigger in England than here, but I like it.  Read!! If you like to read, this is a wonderful thing - an excuse, if you will - to read!  I rarely get the chance anymore...  especially for just reading for enjoyment.  This would be a great night to have everyone grab a book and sit and read by the fireplace, don't you think??  Everyone should be tired of watching TV by now...


No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...