Tuesday, March 05, 2019

In like a lion?

so - the saying in like a lion, out like a lamb might be appropriate this year - I guess we'll see.  It was certainly cold and somewhat snowy on Saturday, but it didn't stay, and it certainly wasn't blustery.  I'm thinking that might mean out like a lion...  that would also depend on where you live, right?  I mean, some of the US had quite the snow storms this past weekend, so ya know...

Anyway, yesterday was quite a regular Monday!!  One of my daughters (who was in charge of dinner last night) had a real bad headache and switched with her sister.  Well, that daughter somehow scorched the gravy (we were having haystacks) and I helped in scorching the rice!  then, she was carrying the pan that the rice was in and dropped it - so half of the rice was gone.  It was a crazy evening, just saying....

My hubby hooked us up with Marco Polo Video as this daughter is going to Japan and we wanted to have some video contact - so I took a video of the rice on the floor and suggested he grab hamburgers on his way home from picking up our son.  :)  He didn't get it, as he doesn't have data - but oh well, I figured he wanted us to use the Marco Polo thing...  lol

So...there's a few fun things for the day:

International Pancake Day - I guess this goes along with the whole Lent and Mardi Gras thing.  It's something about Fat Tuesday and you eat all the stuff you aren't going to eat during lent?  I'm sorry, I confess my ignorance to this pit...  But apparently it's a day to eat pancakes.  In England they have a pancake race...see below... 

Mardi Gras - everyone has heard this term...I believe it's the end of Mardi Gras today, but if you like to have a reason to party, this is New Orleans claim to fame.  I really loved going to Disneyland during the holidays because their section of New Orleans was decked out soooo gorgeous - it made me wonder if it was anything close to how New Orleans looks.  I like the movie Undercover Blues as well...it shows a lot of New Orleans.  :)   Here is one of my favorite parts...


Pancake Day Race -
According to Wikipedia (LOL) "Shrove Tuesday was once known as a "half-holiday" in Britain. It started at 11:00 am with the ringing of a church bell.[39] On Pancake Day, "pancake races" are held in villages and towns across the United Kingdom. The tradition is said to have originated in 1445 when a housewife from Olney, Buckinghamshire, was so busy making pancakes that she forgot the time until she heard the church bells ringing for the service.
She raced out of the house to church while still carrying her frying pan and pancake, tossing it to prevent it from burning.[40][41] The pancake race remains a relatively common festive tradition in the UK, especially England. Participants with frying pans race through the streets tossing pancakes into the air and catching them in the pan while running.[42] The pancake race at Olney traditionally has women contestants who carry a frying pan and race over a 415-yard course to the finishing line. The rules are strict: contestants must toss the pancake at the start and the finish, and wear a scarf and apron.[40]"  
Just a little side trivia... 
Paczki Day - apparently these are a filled doughnut that is eaten on Shrove Tuesday...much like the pancakes or like during Hanukkah for the Jewish celebration.  It's a Polish treat...so I would think there might be more than just a filled doughnut.  Personally, I like filled doughnuts...  :)


World Tennis Day -
Here is a fun clip from Two Weeks Notice -



I love tennis...it is my favorite sport.  I always wanted to play when I was a kid.  I made it to the JV team in high school, and then moved here.  Didn't make it my senior year at Davis, was too afraid to try out...  sigh.  But anyway - haven't been able to play for a long time.  :(   There are a couple of movies about tennis out there...  Wimbledon is okay, you need to have a good filter though...  What's your favorite sport?

and last... National Cheese Doodle Day - Or the cheese puff is born.  :)  I know my grandkids can't get enough of them...I like the other kind - Cheetos.  But anyway, that rounds out the healthy eating for today...lol

Have a good one!

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...