Friday, March 01, 2019

It's Friday! whew....

so - we survived!  I don't know why I look forward to Fridays so much - I commented to my hubby this morning that it was Friday and he said 'So? What's so good about that?  We do work tonight, we have stuff tomorrow, babysitting grandkids tomorrow and Sunday and then back to work on Monday.'  I smacked him.  :)   I realize he had a point, but for some reason Friday's will always be enshrined in my head as the day to look forward to.

We're supposed to get rain/snow over the weekend, so we'll see how that goes, but it has been warmer!  the little shoots of green are starting to poke through in my flower beds, and we're trying to trim our fruit trees...  (which is a major job every year...sigh)  Spring is nice for the flowers, but it's a lot of yard work!  Although my hubby got his chipper working yesterday and discovered he can make a mean mulch!!  I'm excited.  He discovered he can mix our leaves, paper waste and branches to make an awesome mulch!  I think he's brilliant.  :)

So... as per usual on March 1st, there is a but load of things people want to celebrate or put out into the consciousness of man... lol.   I'm not going to highlight all the things I found...but the fun stuff I will share.


Baby Sleep Day - I didn't realize this was a big deal...getting babies to get enough sleep.  Apparently there are enough parents that don't know what their doing that they have a hard time getting a schedule going.  This website it totally dedicated to helping babies get the rest they need...and apparently tomorrow is national sleep day, which promotes everyone getting enough healthy sleep.  I thought everyone knew you let a baby sleep however much it wants! 
Although...there is a way to get it to sleep at NIGHT instead of all day, lol.  My sister-in-law told us how they used to rub a cold soda can on their cheeks to keep them awake in the evening so they would fall asleep when everyone else was sleeping and sleep longer at night.  sigh.  We weren't sure if that was a good idea or not, but when you are desperate for sleep...

Dadgum That's Good Day -  Apparently if your in the lover of smoked food group, you've heard of a Masterbuilt smoker.  I really haven't...I've only heard of the Treager, and that's because I have several friends who LOVE them.  Well...I don't think Treager has their own day yet, but Masterbuilt does, and they have loads of recipes to go with them.  (apparently they are related to Amazon, and all that...) 

Dress in Blue Day - I thought this was just a day to celebrate the color blue!  But no...it's another cancer day that they want to draw attention to.  I didn't realize that they have all these different colors associated with different types of cancer...
I just thought pink was the color.  Silly me...  Blue is the color for Colon-types cancer.  I should have remembered that from when one of our own had this type of cancer last year...but it didn't correlate.  :)

Employee Appreciation Day - I'm an employee, I appreciate me.  You're an employee, I appreciate you!!  there...we've been appreciated.  If I had the funds, I'd treat you all to an ice cream at McD's...


National Black Women in Jazz & The Arts Day - I guess they couldn't fit this into national Black Awareness month?  Sorry...that was a little snarky.  But hey, I appreciate the women in jazz and the arts.  There were (and are) some awesome talented women out there.  Who's your favorite?  One of my favorites is Gladys Knight...


 National Day of Unplugging - are you on your phone all day??  Are you on a computer all day?  Are you using technology 24/7?  This is the day they are encouraging you to unplug!  Get away from the technology and interact with people and places.  Become one with the world again and get away from social media and all that goes with it.  Unfortunately, some of us have to use computers for work...so, uh, not going to happen till later.  :)   I think you should extend it through the weekend...hmmm
 
National Peanut Lovers Day -  Well... I think it's interesting how one site says peanut lovers and one site says peanut butter lovers...  I think the two go hand in hand.  One of my favorite cooking sites, called the Smittenkitchen.com has the perfect post for today.  Here's the link...become addicted.  :)  I'm not saying that I'd want to try the tart, but I'm sure someone out there would...  personally, I like peanuts in the shell (well, you know, taking off the shell) and clusters in dark chocolate and in peanut butter...which brings us to...
 
National Peanut Butter Lovers Day -  When our kids were growing up, there was this kids show called Barney and Friends.  We put up with it for a couple of years, and then we had to stop...it was just soooo unreal.  I mean, all the kids were yuppy children and lived in perfect worlds.  We couldn't stand our children thinking that was what their life was supposed to be like.  Never mind we all wanted to kill the purple dinosaur...  sad state of affairs.  But...there was this song that everyone still remembers...

of course...there's always the Studio C rebellion... lol

who would have thought it all started with peanuts??

 
NEA's Read Across America Day
-  Okay - so tomorrow is Dr. Seuss bday, and since there's no school, they are promoting the reading across America today.  It's one of the things I look forward to every year because I get to read at work!!  :)   You see, I love to read.  I used to read anything that had words on it!  My children are much the same, and we tease them all the time about the fact that a book isn't going to walk away - you can put it down and come back to it.  :)  What type of books do you like to read?  I used to be an avid romance reader, but since I've become a grandma, my focus has shifted somewhat, lol.  though a good romantic aspect always makes it fun reading.  My children introduced me to Brandon Sanderson some years ago, and I could read his Elantris over and over and over...

Farmers insurance has created an add celebrating Dr. Seuss, and I'll share it here.  Kind of fun.  :)


Plan a Solo Vacation Day - For those of you who are solo, this is apparently a good day to plan a vacation.  For myself, I don't like going on vacation solo, so I wouldn't be wanting to do this.  Why would I want to go on a trip without my hubby??  Now, when my kids were younger, there were many days when I wished I could get away.  That's when we discovered Mommy weekends ...and I went to San Diego on my own (a friend came for most of the time) and a hotel in the next city, lol (everyone came to play in the hotel pool on Monday before I left) and Hawaii - which was a never again by myself awakening.  So I guess it's all dependent on where you're at in life.

World Compliment Day -  everyone loves a compliment, especially a sincere one!  So, now is the time to brush up on your interpersonal skills and let those around you know how awesome they are.  You can ALWAYS find something about someone to compliment them on.  The way they smile, the way they dress, how nice their hair looks, etc...   here's one of the best compliments...well, example of how some people struggle with them.  :)


World Day of Prayer - and to end the list is the day of prayer.  I think that the world needs prayer.  It's an uplifting, comforting thing that makes everyone draw closer to whatever God they believe in and to each other.

I hope you have a great weekend and an awesome Friday.  And did I mention how awesome you look today??  You got this!!  

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...