Monday, November 18, 2019

Musings while home sick...

So - there are some upsides to being sick - if you can say it like that.  One, I get to laze around in bed and not feel too incredibly guilty; two, I get to read!  Which is something I rarely have time to do without feeling guilty (my own fault - no one ever says anything, lol) The house is quiet, I have it all to myself as everyone else is working.  To be honest, I like it when it's like this...though there are times I wish my hubby were here with me.  I'm not sure what we'd be doing...he'd be puttering and I'd be wishing I were well.  lol  what a combination, right?
Well, part of the reason for this post is a book I just finished.  I'm not going to tell you the title because I really wouldn't recommend it - for a couple of reasons.  1 - it has casual sex ALOT mentioned and fortunately, not described!!  Has some language...which I felt it my duty to black out with a sharpie.  Yes, I guess I really am that older woman who doesn't want to read swear words.  Sigh.  And 2 - the author obviously had a unhappy youth with parents who were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It's a um, secondary plot to the story, so to speak - how the parents are religious fanatics who are insensitive to the daughter that has married outside of the church and is no longer in their 'eternal ' family and when she has a miscarriage while they express sadness at her loss, they are pretty unfeeling about it.  The parents are apparently on a mission to Africa, and the main character can only shudder when thinking about all the hapless people who are having to deal with them.
It made me so sad.
I get that there are people who've had to deal with extreme religion.  A couple of my children would probably agree with the main character...ass they are not active in the church.  I get that not everyone is going to feel the spirit in the same way.  I also get that it's hard for people to forgive and move on.  Perhaps this book was her way of purging the past... or perhaps she was writing from another person's story - us authors do that a lot, we hear someone's story and feel inspired to develop it. 
But be whatever the reason - I feel strongly that I need to share my testimony - that the Lord is there and loves everyone.  Jesus Christ died that we would not, and that we could have the chance to be together forever.  Everyone's interpretation of that is a little different - but the great plan of happiness is for everyone. 
None of us are perfect.  That's why we're here.  One of my favorite quotes from our leaders is 'The church is a hospital for the sick, not a resort for the healthy' or something like that.  The savior said many times that He had come to heal and bind up the wounded and sick...not for them that were whole.
All of us need Him in our lives.  All of us are struggling.  While yes, I believe there is only one true church - or organized religion - on the earth, that doesn't mean others can't feel the influence of the spirit and be good people.  Everyone has good in them.  Everyone can BE the good around them.  I hope as we head into this holiday season that everyone will think of others, and how they can be served, helped, ministered to, any of the above.
My daughter commented the other day as we were driving that there seemed to be a lot of random signs around that said stuff like "hug someone today"  or "be kind".  I think they're great.  It plants a thought, brings to mind kindness... helps in this dark world.
I hope if nothing else, you feel the love of God and of Jesus Christ in your life.  I don't know who you are, where you live, or if I'll ever see your face - but if you are reading this; know that you are loved greater than anything thing on this earth.  You are a child of God and He has your happiness as a priority, even when things look dark/bleak or at their worst.
He knows.  He has been there.  He loves you.
Have a great day... 


No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...