Tuesday, February 09, 2021

It's Tuesday, and I'm happy!

Well, we should be, right?  I got to thinking about the irony of life in America.  Everyone claims that we are - uh, what is it, nationalphobic? Or cultural appropriation...  We don't want other nationalities coming here and bringing their cultures with them.  Well, I don't think most people have a problem with bringing the cultures with them, it's the insisting that we have to take on their culture - but I just wanted to share how we as a nation tend to jump on the mixing pot that is our national base anyway.

For example...  Valentines is a random holiday that is VERY loosely based on several different priests or catholic men.  They were either performing marriages illegally, or writing letters to young maidens and signing it 'your valentine'.  So, they didn't end well though, all of them were beheaded, which is uh, so romantic. (think Romeo and Juliet...everyone DIES!) But - the candy industry has made it their very own (next to Halloween and Christmas...)  as well as the flower industry.  I mean, think about it - according to advertising, you aren't a romantic male if you do not buy candy and flowers for your significant other.  That's what they would have you believe anyway - There are soooo many other ways to show your love and be romantic, but that's another post.  Also, let's think about the other stuff we do that are related to other cultures.  Cinco de Mayo.  That's a Mexican holiday...that they don't even celebrate as big as we do!!  (let's not talk about the fact that most of the 'Mexican' food we've grown up on isn't truly Mexican as they would eat it...)

Then you have Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras...  days which started out related to religious things, and have now become a large excuse to party and eat and drink to excess.  (Which is probably what many figure Thanksgiving is...)  then there's Chinese New Year.  We may not be fans of China, but we sure buy their stuff and like to celebrate their new year...  And of course there's St Patricks Day.  Chicago dies the river green, for heavens sake.  You get pinched at school if you don't wear green, and the list goes on. 

What I'm getting to is that we American's love any excuse to party.  Be it something we invent, or take on from another culture that's moved here, we don't care.  Let's party! We like to gather, we like to be with each other...that's why Covid is driving everyone nuts.  So - take a moment to breathe and enjoy life - what holiday is it that you totally love to celebrate?  Do you like Valentine's day?  Then give that love to everyone!  You don't have to have a romantic interest to enjoy valentines day.

So much for my rant, lol.  Onto lighter thoughts - today is National Pizza Day!!!  One of the best days of the food year.  (I mean, chocolate is best, what can I say?  But pizza ranks right up there, my friend)  Apparently this is national pizza week...which blows the mind.  Someone even shared a breakfast pizza that had eggs and bacon like carbonara.  That sounds awesome!  Anyway - today is the day to make pizza yours!  What is your favorite topping??  Our favorite pizza has become the gourmet veggie at Papa Murphys.  We add bacon to it though..., and take off the artichokes.  (I like artichoke dip, but I'm not into it on pizza...)
I just couldn't skip the day without you knowing this wonderful opportunity.  We're probably going to do homemade pizzas, unless my daughter gets the pitas.  We like doing pita pizzas, it's fast.  😋  I like thicker crusts though...

So - it's also Read in the Bathtub Day.  Personally, I don't take baths because it's just too hard to get out, the water always goes cold before I'm ready to get out, and it's just simpler to take a shower and curl up on the couch.  My Son-I-L used to always drop the books he was reading in the tub as well, so that's not a good thing...  Books and water just don't mix.  Unless you're on a cruise ship... that's always an option!  🙂

And to be on the somewhat serious side, it's Safer Internet Day as well, and there are two things I would suggest.  Either DuckDuckGo, or Brave.  Both of which are free, block unwanted adds and trackers, and generally are easy to use. 

Our favorite principal has been kind of off lately, but this week he's back in form, and I thought I'd share his Valentine suggestions to colleagues...  I'm sure it will give you some ideas, lol.  Oh my... he kills me.  A glass full of baked beans??? 

So, hopefully that gives you something to make Tuesday a fun day.  I'll leave you with the music we were dancing to last Thursday...  Get your feet moving a little and that face smiling.  Life is good!!  🙂

 

No comments:

Wow... really??

so - I didn't realize it has been that long since my last post.  I think I kind of gave up on it, knowing I don't have many follower...